Friday, August 30, 2013

Pinkie Pink Pink - The Serious Business Pencil Skirt

It's finished!  Well, almost.  Here's the second of my pink projects - the Serious Business Pencil Skirt.  This is the Pencil Skirt from Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing

I still have to finish attaching the lining to the fashion fabric at the back slit and zipper opening and steam the whole garment, but I figured it was close enough to post pics.  What can I say, I'm impatient!
Please excuse the messy craft room.
I had some yardage of some medium weight stretch poly blend fabric I picked up years ago from a clearance table at Hancock Fabrics.  Originally, it was going to be a corset/miniskirt combo with tulle underneath, but I think this is a much better idea.
The back - a better picture of the fabric.  Please ignore the pins.

Somehow, when transferring the pattern markings onto my fabric I failed to notice that there are FOUR darts on skirt front, not two.  Oops.  I ended up having to take in the side seam allowances to make it fit (because I didn't realize the four-not-two error until after I had attached the waistband and I wasn't going to undo all that work).

One of my favorite things about this skirt is the hot pink lining.  I didn't have any pink thread, so when I hemmed it, I added a little black lace trim, which I think is a fun little detail.

Sassy!
I'll be sure to get some pic of it on me and post them.

My next pink project is a jacket from Simplicity's Project Runway collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment