Monday, August 12, 2013

Knit that WIP: My Secret Chemise

This weekend was kind of slow for me craft- and cooking-wise, so I thought I'd start this week by sharing a WIP (Work-in-Progress) knitting project.  Sometimes, it seems like my WIPs are more like Works-in-Purgatory.  I hope I'll finish them...eventually.  Right?  Right???

Last November, my mom bought me The Ladies of Mischief's book of Steampunk and Victoriana knits, Needles & Artifice, for my birthday.  All of the patterns in the book are awesome and I plan to make all of them.  One in particular looked like the perfect starting point toward that goal.  The pattern is called The Hush Chemise by designer Amanda Williams.  Look at these photos from the book - the model just exudes elegance and refinement.



I had a skein of Handmaiden Fine Yarn's Mini Maiden on hand that I knew would be perfect for this chemise, although the yardage is less than what's needed.  Mini Maiden is a 50/50 wool and silk blend and is the softest yarn I've worked with and my new fave.  It is perfect for really lush, delicate projects like this one.  The colorway I'm working with is called 'Apricot' - a subtle variegated yarn with shades of cream and rosy peach.   It is worked from the top down, in the round.

I started this project back in December 2012, I think.  I believe I was working on it during our annual holiday drive back to Michigan.  I made a couple of errors in the lace pattern and had to frog it a few times, but once I got to the armholes I felt like I was really making progress.  Then, the stockinette portion began...and it never ended...and I'm still working on it.  The logical part of my brain knows that I must be making some progress, but at 10 rows per inch, it's difficult to see.

My current progress - if you can call it that.
I haven't worked on this project continuously - I've done lots of other, smaller knitting projects along the way - but I think I still have 7 or 8 more inches to go.  I'd love to finish this before winter to wear underneath my sweaters - we'll see if that happens (I'm not holding my breath).  Maybe when I finish this I'll finish the leather underbust corset/waist cincher I have sitting in my project bag...

Do you have any projects that just seem to go on endlessly?


No comments:

Post a Comment