Friday, August 23, 2013

Pinkie Pink Pink - Everything's Coming Up Roses

Apparently, I've been on a pink kick.  This is rather odd, as pink is not exactly one of my favorite colors.  I just finished one project (below) that is all about pink, have one in progress that's black and pink, and another on deck in burgundy/pink tones.  Heck, I've even got pink fingernails!

A couple of years ago, I got a cake of this handspun yarn by a most awesome friend.

Thank you, Stacey!
It's been sitting in my stash since then, since I was never sure what to do with it.  Last weekend, for some reason or another, I got the sudden urge to make something PINK so I dug it out of hibernation.  A quick search of Knitty's 'Knittyspin Index' yielded the perfect pattern, Grey Gardens, a one-skein entrelac turban.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that before this project, I had never attempted anything entrelac - it looked really difficult!  Although my version is certainly not perfect, I'm pleased to say it was much easier than I anticipated. The only real difficulty I had was that I ran out of yarn with one edge triangle and the four finishing triangles to go.  This handspun was the only pink yarn I had, but luckily I had some yardage of worsted weight Lorna's Laces Shepherd's Wool in Happy Valley left from another project.  I trimmed out the pink bits and used those to finish the project.

The color match isn't perfect, but it was the closest I had on hand.  Plus, it shows up on the back of the turban, and how many people are looking at the back of my head, really?  The biggest downside of this fix was definitely weaving in a dozen or so ends.  Ugh!

Here's the finished (and unblocked) product, "Everything's Coming Up Roses":
The front

The back with the emergency yarn

And here's a silly selfie of it on me.  The color is more true in this picture than in the above ones.  In this shot, I'm wearing it folded in half - otherwise it looks like a fancy bathing cap.

I definitely plan on making another of these, although I'll probably reduce the width by half.  I am excited to try it with a variegated yarn!

EDIT: I forgot to add this link I found to a "universal enterlac pattern."  It's a formula, or recipe, for doing entrelac work.  




No comments:

Post a Comment