Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Falling for Cotton

I came across the blog Lucky Lucille this weekend while browsing 1930s and 1940s patterns, and discovered that is running a sewing challenge called "Fall for Cotton."  The details are here, but in a nutshell, the challenge is to create a vintage-style garment in the month of September using 100% cotton fabric. 

I scored this fabulous fabric at Jo-Ann's over the weekend - originally $13/yd, got it for $3/yd! - although the bolt only had 2-1/3 yds left on it.
So, so, so in love with this print!
I want to make Gertie's Shirtwaist dress, but that requires 4 yards of fabric.  Clearly, I don't have enough. 

I'm thinking about the version on the left.
So here's my thought for this challenge - make the skirt portion of the dress, and maybe the collar in the floral.  Make the shirt part of the dress out of a muslin and possibly do fabric-covered buttons.  What do you think?  Am I on to something? I think this would be so cute with a little coral or mustard colored cardigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment