Monday, August 19, 2013

What's Cooking? Chicken and Carrot Cake Jam??? (Better than It Sounds!)

At my last CSA pickup, in which I came home with a red watermelon, a yellow watermelon, and a cantaloupe, I perused the farm stand offerings of local jams, jellies and preserves by Olney Natural.  There were a lot of the 'standards' - strawberry, blackberry, rhubarb - but there was also a "carrot cake jam" which sounded both interesting and awesome.  I especially liked the sign accompanying it, which said "Don't let toast have all the fun - try with meats and cheeses!"  Naturally, I couldn't resist picking up a jar.
Friday was a really hectic day for me - my daughter's daycare provider was sick, so I had both kids, I had a make-up arts & crafts club meeting from when I was sick to run, and I just felt tired.  I threw a few chicken breasts, carrots, frozen corn and frozen peas in the crockpot with some stock and just let it go, because that was about all I had energy to do.
When it came time to actually serve the crockpot food (over quinoa - one of the few non-pasta grains my son likes), I remembered the carrot cake jam and heated up a few tablespoons to top off the meal.
The finished product
It was DELICIOUS.  The carrot cake jam added a subtle warm/sweet/autumnal character to my otherwise (admittedly) bland meal.  TMS was totally impressed, so I consider this dinner a success.  I'll be picking up more jams next time I go to the farm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment